Is ‘podcast’ one of those buzzwords that keeps popping up and you’re not sure what they are, why they are, or if you should have one? Or are you an avid listener who thinks a podcast might be the next step for your business or brand?
Well, firstly, a podcast is basically just a piece of digital content (often just audio), that people can listen to on their devices at any time of the day or night. It can be one or more people talking about any topic for any period of time. Some are just conversations between friends, others detailed true crime stories spanning multiple episodes. That’s the best part about podcasts – they can be whatever your heart desires and no matter how niche, you’ll almost always find an audience.
Quick Podcasting Facts:
- In Australia about 30% of the population are listening to at least one podcast every month. That’s an increase of over 80% in the past 5 years.
- The majority demographic is 25-44, and they listen to an average of six podcast episodes each week, at an 80% completion rate. It’s an active, engaged audience, which juxtaposes it to other mediums that people consume passively in the background.
- We can see that traditional media, like radio, can see the value in the platform due to them utilising it for their content.
- Every mobile device comes with the built-in ability to listen to podcasts.
- There are a multitude of apps available that replicate and, in some cases, improve on this native function (PodcastOne, EarWolf, Spotify).
- Because the content is recorded, it can be listened to when convenient to the listener; they’re not constrained to the schedule of traditional broadcast media.
How to podcast:
If you have a business or a brand that you think might get value out of a podcast, it’s not as simple as just plugging in a microphone, talking for an hour, and having millions of people listening in. Like most things, the secret formula to success is simple: create quality content that people want to listen to; however, the execution of this concept can be difficult. Here’s our recommendations:
- Decide on what you’re saying and why you’re saying it.
- Identify your key audience and determine what they will find most engaging. It’s an active medium so if people aren’t engaged, they aren’t listening.
- Make sure if your brand/business is involved that your podcast content is in line with your corporate image. The podcast graveyard is littered with controversial podcasts that came back to bite the business/personalities behind them (see Tesla’s share price drop after Elon Musk appeared on the Joe Rogan podcast ).
- Be authentic, but keep in mind that you have a brand and a goal.
- The structure is important. Don’t meander around the place; stay on topic and give it structure, be it a question and answer, or an introduction/middle/conclusion.
- A proper audio setup is crucial. You want it to be crisp and clear, without any background interference. You want to make listening easy, so your listeners can focus on the content.
So how can Bang Media help you?
Lucky for you, we have a podcast studio! 4870 Studios is a fully equipped, private podcasting studio right here in Cairns that is available for hire 24/7. We have curated this space with the highest quality visual and audio technology to have you sounding like a pro from the moment you hit ‘record’. And, If you need an extra hand to get your content cut, polished and out into the world, we offer podcast producers to handle all of the nitty-gritty details as well. Book your session here.
Remember, no one gets it right the first time! Make a plan, set a schedule, and keep talking!